New York News
Police make arrest in Harlem hit and run
HARLEM -- Police have made an arrest in connection with a fatal hit and run accident in Harlem.
Police say a livery cab driver was driving a Lincoln Town car when he struck and killed 21-year-old Taja Johnson of Mount Vernon just after 4 on Saturday morning.
He had borrowed the car from a friend to pick up extra work.
The driver, 53-year old Boubacar Bathily, turned himself in.
He has been charged with Leaving the Scene of an Accident Resulting in Death, Motor Vehicle License Violation (No Driver's License), and Failure to Exercise Due Care.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that Johnson was riding in the passenger seat of a silver Audi when she was pushed out of her own car during some type of domestic dispute, right on to the pavement at the intersection of West 133rd and Frederick Douglass Boulevard.
Sources say as cars swerved around her, she struggled to get up. That is when the livery cab ran right into her. Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Early Saturday morning, the NYPD set up a small checkpoint at the scene.
Sources say they may be looking for the person who was driving the victim's silver Audi.
"The ambulance came and tried to revive her - it's crazy," said eyewitness Kelvin Romero.
new york city, harlem, hit and run accident, new york news, darla miles
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese 53 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 48 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 42 min ago
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand