New York News
Police searching for Washington Heights burglary suspect
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS -- Residents of Washington Heights are on edge, after a burglar has been using a fire escape to break into residents' apartments.
A security camera captured footage just before midnight on March 15th of the burglar lowering himself to safety from the fire escape.
Christian Abreu lives in one of the three buildings on 180th Street that have been targeted. He says the burglaries have forced residents to take extra precautions by taking extra precautions to lock all doors and windows of the apartment.
"A lot of them are elderly people, so they're a little frightened and startled," added Abreu.
Police say the thief burglarized four apartments over the course of five hours last month, using the fire escape to gain entry to people's bedrooms and living rooms.
"I supposed this building was safe, but I don't know now," said Washington Heights resident Carmen Rosa.
Jose Parra says that the police have been active in the neighborhood since the burglaries.
"They have been investigating the situation, and I saw them bring some cameras, and have increased protection of the neighborhood," adds Parra.
It is unknown what was stolen, and how much the thief got away with.
If anyone recognizes the burglar, they are asked to call NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
new york city, washington heights, robbery, burglary, new york news
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 9 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 1 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 13 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 1 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 26 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
9 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
13 min ago