New York News
Apartments in New York City for $10
NEW YORK -- A luxury new apartment building where a unit could rent for as much as $10,000 a month.
But some lucky residents have been able to buy for much, much less.
Just $10 is what they paid for their new apartments.
Get this -- ten dollars is what they paid for their new apartments!
So how did they land such a deal?
The views will be spectacular looking at the Freedom Tower and the Empire State Building, and for 9 lucky tenants here on Second Avenue and east 1st street.
The apartments cost $10.
"They're each gonna get a unit for $10 dollars or I'm gonna be sued by 9 people, there's no 2 ways about that," said Donald Capoccia.
It has to do with something called the Inclusionary Zoning Program here in the city in order for this project to move forward, the developer had to include 20 percent.
The beautiful, 10 dollar digs go to long-time tenants, like 83-year-old John Vaccarro, who moved to the building when no one would, so does he feel "lucky" getting this deal?
"I liked what I had, I had two big lofts please. 36 years, $294 dollars a month," he said.
Except that the building was scarred with graffiti and falling apart but home to the famous Mars Bar, ever popular with hipsters and artists who were willing, to tough it out.
For more, watch the video above.
new york city, new york news
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park 33 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released 21 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 51 min ago
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
51 min ago