New York News
Thieves targeting side-view mirrors in Queens
SOUTH RICHMOND HILL -- The frustration is continuing for some car owners in Queens who have had their vehicles vandalized for several weeks now.
Dozens of cars have been hit, and the thief, or thieves have a specific target - side view mirrors. The latest damage extends along three blocks in South Richmond Hill, Queens.
Livery cab driver Ram Ji has a brand new Lincoln, but now he has to replace the driver's side mirror.
"They popped out he glass with a screwdriver, and easily take out the wires," Ji said.
Thieves meticulously popped out the glass, and stole the sensor underneath. This will cost Ji $250 to replace.
Up and down 125th Street in South Richmond Hill, Queens, dozens of cars are also missing their side view mirrors. Neighbors tell Eyewitness News that the thieves strike during the night, but so far no security camera recorded them in the act - not even the NYPD's security cameras.
Residents say they have called the cops dozens of times, but the thefts continue.
As for Ji, he has two mirrors to replace. Thieves also stole his van's glass and sensor.
Neighbors believe that the thieves are professionals, and are selling the mirrors and the sensors to auto body shops.
new york city, queens, richmond hill, vandalism, new york news
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 26 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw 27 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore 52 min ago
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later 51 min ago
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains 2 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
26 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
27 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines plane search widens
17 min ago