New York News
Coney Island celebrates Sandy survival with Mermaid Parade
BROOKLYN -- Storm-ravaged Coney Island is celebrating its survival with its annual wacky and weird Mermaid Parade.
Hundreds of thousands of people hit the famed Brooklyn boardwalk on Surf Avenue Saturday for the procession, billed as the world's largest art parade.
This year's version was a spectacle of outlandish floats, muscle cars, cross-dressing men and women in revealing costumes.
"There's nothing like this in the world, you see all the beautiful fishes they come out, they're really, really beautiful, they are," said spectator Don Deola.
This celebration of ancient mythology and honky-tonk rituals is now in its 31st year. It is the largest art parade in the country, which means the flare for the unusual is in over drive.
"Go big or go home. if you're going to swim with the sharks, don't' wear a Speedo," said parade-goer Jessica Rothman.
More than 1900 people, many of them who were at the parade on Saturday, went to kickstarter.com, and donated roughly $117,000 - money that paid for, among other things security.
"It's hard to believe all that water was in our backyard, we never thought Coney Island would come back but it's coming back bigger and stronger," said Carol Webb.
new york city, coney island, brooklyn, superstorm sandy, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 3 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Video: I-Team: Wanted by international police
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- 1 injured after car collides with school bus in Kenosha
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Woman charged after crashing car into Burbank house
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant 48 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
3 min ago