New York News
Queens hit and run victim also robbed, relatives say
NEW YORK -- Authorities are looking for the drivern who struck 25-year-old Manuel Campoverde in Jackson Heights. Relatives say someone also robbed him, taking everything but his undergarments.
'It's something unacceptable,' said Beatrice Campoverde after a hit and run driver struck and killed her brother shortly before 2 o'clock Monday morning as he walked eastbound on 34th Avenue at Junction Boulevard in Jackson Heights.
Manuel Campoverde turned 25-years old just last week.
"All police told me is that they are in the midst of an investigation and they will update me in 4 to 5 days," Nicolas Campoverde, the victim's older brother, said.
Investigators say when emergency crews arrived on the scene, the victim was on the street, unconscious. They rushed the 25-year-old to Elmhurst Hospital where doctors pronounced him dead.
What mystifies his siblings is this: Manuel was found in his underwear - no shoes, no clothing, no wallet or cell phone. It appears to them that the driver hit him, dragged him, and then someone robbed him.
"I don't understand. If you are run over, your clothes are torn or ripped, but you always have clothes. He was naked and tossed on the corner," Daniela Campoverde, the victim's sister, said.
Daniela told her she was with her brother until about 10 o'clock last night, when she left him playing soccer at Flushing Meadows, Corona Park. At 11:30 she called his cell phone, but he never answered.
Hours later the family heard from police.
"I believe some people, somebody saw. What car was it? What color? Who was driving? What we want now is justice," Beatrice said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
new york city, jackson heights, queens, hit and run accident, new york news, joe torres
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 34 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 54 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says 10 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 24 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 32 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos