New York News
Queens hit and run victim also robbed, relatives say
NEW YORK -- Authorities are looking for the drivern who struck 25-year-old Manuel Campoverde in Jackson Heights. Relatives say someone also robbed him, taking everything but his undergarments.
'It's something unacceptable,' said Beatrice Campoverde after a hit and run driver struck and killed her brother shortly before 2 o'clock Monday morning as he walked eastbound on 34th Avenue at Junction Boulevard in Jackson Heights.
Manuel Campoverde turned 25-years old just last week.
"All police told me is that they are in the midst of an investigation and they will update me in 4 to 5 days," Nicolas Campoverde, the victim's older brother, said.
Investigators say when emergency crews arrived on the scene, the victim was on the street, unconscious. They rushed the 25-year-old to Elmhurst Hospital where doctors pronounced him dead.
What mystifies his siblings is this: Manuel was found in his underwear - no shoes, no clothing, no wallet or cell phone. It appears to them that the driver hit him, dragged him, and then someone robbed him.
"I don't understand. If you are run over, your clothes are torn or ripped, but you always have clothes. He was naked and tossed on the corner," Daniela Campoverde, the victim's sister, said.
Daniela told her she was with her brother until about 10 o'clock last night, when she left him playing soccer at Flushing Meadows, Corona Park. At 11:30 she called his cell phone, but he never answered.
Hours later the family heard from police.
"I believe some people, somebody saw. What car was it? What color? Who was driving? What we want now is justice," Beatrice said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
new york city, jackson heights, queens, hit and run accident, new york news, joe torres
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain 15 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault 14 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member 46 min ago
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence 44 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing...
15 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
14 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40...
7 min ago