New York News
Man killed in remote-control helicopter accident in Brooklyn
GRAVESEND -- The father of a teenage remote control helicopter enthusiast says his son was a great pilot.
Nineteen-year-old Roman Pirozek, Jr., of Queens, was flying the helicopter in a park near Bay 44th Street and Shore Parkway in Gravesend Brooklyn when it struck him in the head and killed him.
Roman Pirozek Sr. tells the Daily News his son was also a great friend.
The elder Pirozek acknowledged operating the helicopters was a bit dangerous, adding it was also an expensive hobby.
A tearful Pirozek told the paper his family still didn't know what caused the fatal accident
The young man's family returned home Thursday night and were met by neighbors with tears in their eyes.
"We are in shock because we are neighbors, we look after each other, we love each other, we care for each other," said Margarita Aviles, a neighbor.
Pirozek, Jr. was an avid flier of remote control helicopters.
He flew gas-powered, turbine choppers with two foot-long carbon fiber blades.
Roman made a series of videos in the field in Gravesend, Brooklyn and posted them on YouTube.
Police say it was there while flying spectacular stunts that Roman lost control of his helicopter and was struck in the head and killed.
He was a member of a small group of remote control chopper pilots who told reporters that it can be a risky hobby.
"We're all concerned about our own personal safety, but things happen, things happen," said Eaton Boyce, the victim's friend.
"It's just an unreal event that someone that young, that full of life, enjoying something, is gone," said Dino Spadaccini, the victim's friend.
Weah Roberts assembles and repairs remote control helicopters and says Roman was clearly a talented pilot.
The cause, he says, was most likely a mechanical malfunction.
"You've got something with whirling blades, it's like knives, and you get hit with that it's no joke," said Weah Robert, an RC Helicopter expert.
YouTube video of Pirozek flying his helicopter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRPfLKVMGM8
nyc news, new york news
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border 12 min ago
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 27 min ago
- Dominick's offers more discounts as stores close 4 min ago
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets 34 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Deck the malls with security
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
27 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos