New York News
Man killed in remote-control helicopter accident in Brooklyn
GRAVESEND -- The father of a teenage remote control helicopter enthusiast says his son was a great pilot.
Nineteen-year-old Roman Pirozek, Jr., of Queens, was flying the helicopter in a park near Bay 44th Street and Shore Parkway in Gravesend Brooklyn when it struck him in the head and killed him.
Roman Pirozek Sr. tells the Daily News his son was also a great friend.
The elder Pirozek acknowledged operating the helicopters was a bit dangerous, adding it was also an expensive hobby.
A tearful Pirozek told the paper his family still didn't know what caused the fatal accident
The young man's family returned home Thursday night and were met by neighbors with tears in their eyes.
"We are in shock because we are neighbors, we look after each other, we love each other, we care for each other," said Margarita Aviles, a neighbor.
Pirozek, Jr. was an avid flier of remote control helicopters.
He flew gas-powered, turbine choppers with two foot-long carbon fiber blades.
Roman made a series of videos in the field in Gravesend, Brooklyn and posted them on YouTube.
Police say it was there while flying spectacular stunts that Roman lost control of his helicopter and was struck in the head and killed.
He was a member of a small group of remote control chopper pilots who told reporters that it can be a risky hobby.
"We're all concerned about our own personal safety, but things happen, things happen," said Eaton Boyce, the victim's friend.
"It's just an unreal event that someone that young, that full of life, enjoying something, is gone," said Dino Spadaccini, the victim's friend.
Weah Roberts assembles and repairs remote control helicopters and says Roman was clearly a talented pilot.
The cause, he says, was most likely a mechanical malfunction.
"You've got something with whirling blades, it's like knives, and you get hit with that it's no joke," said Weah Robert, an RC Helicopter expert.
YouTube video of Pirozek flying his helicopter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRPfLKVMGM8
nyc news, new york news
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side 29 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party 34 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
46 min ago
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos