June 6, 2010: Illinois' Budget Problems and Solutions
June 6, 2010 (WLS) -- Two key state lawmakers tackle Illinois' huge budget deficit and possible solutions on this NewsViews.
One guest is State Rep. Art Turner, a Chicago Democrat who is deputy House majority leader. He's retiring after 30 years in the House.
Our other guest is State Sen. Matt Murphy, a Palatine Republican who is his party's spokesperson on the Senate Commerce and Economic Development Committee. He was also co-chair of the Senate Deficit Reduction Committee.
We'll find out what's been happening (or not happening) in Springfield to try to ease the state's $13 billion budget deficit, and almost $6 billion in unpaid bills. We'll see what steps each recommends, and what each thinks is likely to happen. For example, will and should a tax hike pass in this election year? And what spending cuts will and should be made?
We'll also discuss other legislative issues, including Speaker Mike Madigan's desire to do away with the office they ran for, the office of lieutenant governor.
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home 3 min ago
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal
- Mega Millions jackpot up to $291M; winning numbers lottery drawing Friday 2 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Meningitis at other universities puts NU on alert
- Chicago Dearborn bike lane rated best in America
- Official shaves 40-year-old mustache for cancer awareness
- Cyber Safety Tips During the Holidays
- Chicago boasts nation's best doughnut in web ranking
- SW Side teen recants story about alley sex assault
- William Cellini to be released from prison
- abcnews: Truck carrying radioactive material stolen
- 7 in :77
- Officials try to ID body near missing...
3 min ago