NewsViews: Judy Baar Topinka
July 17, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Judy Baar Topinka is back in state government after winning nomination, and then election, for Illinois comptroller last year. She is also the guest on this edition of NewsViews.
She is a former newspaper reporter and editor. In 1980 she switched careers from journalism to politics and was elected a west suburban state representative. In 1984 she was elected a state senator. And in 1994 was elected state treasurer.
Topinka made history by becoming the first treasurer re-elected to three consecutive terms. She was chosen Republican state chairman, And was the 2006 Republican nominee for governor. Now she is the first woman to have served in two Illinois statewide elected offices-- treasurer and comptroller.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Photos: "That happened how?" Bizarre mix-ups
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos