NewsViews: Community Colleges
July 31, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In just a few weeks, millions of Americans will be going back to school. Many of them will be taking classes at a community college.
In 2009, more than 6 million students were enrolled at one of 1,600 community colleges across the United States, and President Obama has cited the importance of these schools in preparing workers for the jobs of the future.
Joining us on this edition of NewsViews to discuss community colleges, the opportunities they provide, and the challenges they face are Chancellor Cheryl Hyman of the City Colleges of Chicago and Dr. Margaret Semmer, the vice chancellor of academics at Ivy Tech Community College in Indiana.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 54 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire 13 min ago
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing 36 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 41 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Driver charged with drunken driving at 118 mph on I-55 33 min ago
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand