NewsViews: Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky
August 28, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Multi-billionaire Warren Buffett, one of the world's richest people, attracted widespread attention this month when he claimed this country coddles the wealthy, and doesn't tax them enough.
In March, Illinois Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky introduced legislation to do what Buffett suggested. She wants to create higher income tax brackets for millionaires and billionaires, and end oil subsidies and what she calls corporate tax loopholes. She'd use the revenue raised to create 2.2 million new jobs.
Schakowsky was a four-term state representative. She is now in her 7th term in Congress representing Chicago and north suburbs. She says her goals include protecting seniors and the middle class. She holds the Democratic house leadership post of chief deputy whip.
Democratic Illinois Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky is our guest on this edition of NewsViews.
- Teachers march to protest proposed school closings
- Last-minute fortune seekers buy Powerball tickets
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 21 min ago
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Official: 50 to 60 injured in Virginia parade crash
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- Coast Guard reminding boaters of maritime safety 33 min ago
- Teens accused of assault, posting on Facebook
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
21 min ago