NewsViews: Francis Cardinal George
December 25, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On this edition of NewsViews: 74-year-old Francis Cardinal George says he hopes Pope Benedict won't accept the letter of resignation he must soon send.
Francis Cardinal George will turn 75 on January 16th. The Vatican requires that at that age every bishop must submit a letter of resignation to the Pope. The Pope can decline to accept a resignation, which he is expected to do in this case.
The Chicago Archdiocese told ABC7's Alan Krashesky they hope the Pope will allow Cardinal George to serve at least until the Cardinal is 78.
Pope Benedict is 84, but there is no age limit for a Pope.
We will also ask the Cardinal about other issues, including whether he will allow the controversial Father Michael Pfleger to continue to serve as pastor of St. Sabina Church long after the term-limit on a priest serving at any one church has expired.
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 38 min ago
- Temps dip to 18-year low, more snow on the way
- Evan Lysacek out of Sochi Games due to injury 49 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest allegations not enough
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5
- Flossmoor fire injures woman 15 min ago
- Evanston attempted sex assault triggers alert 6 min ago
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- 7 in :77
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
38 min ago