NewsViews: Francis Cardinal George
December 25, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On this edition of NewsViews: 74-year-old Francis Cardinal George says he hopes Pope Benedict won't accept the letter of resignation he must soon send.
Francis Cardinal George will turn 75 on January 16th. The Vatican requires that at that age every bishop must submit a letter of resignation to the Pope. The Pope can decline to accept a resignation, which he is expected to do in this case.
The Chicago Archdiocese told ABC7's Alan Krashesky they hope the Pope will allow Cardinal George to serve at least until the Cardinal is 78.
Pope Benedict is 84, but there is no age limit for a Pope.
We will also ask the Cardinal about other issues, including whether he will allow the controversial Father Michael Pfleger to continue to serve as pastor of St. Sabina Church long after the term-limit on a priest serving at any one church has expired.
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash 51 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 12 min ago
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 53 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits 6 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos