NewsViews: 2nd District GOP candidates
March 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The March 20th primary in Illinois is just over two weeks away. Newly drawn congressional maps are making for some very interesting races.
The 2nd Congressional District is a prime example. This is a district that now includes not only parts of Chicago's South Side, but also now stretches further south to include parts of Kankakee and Will counties.
Incumbent Congressman Jesse Jackson Junior is fighting to keep his job after eight terms in office. He is facing former US Representative Debbie Halvorson in the Democratic primary.
Two Republicans are vying for a chance to take on either Jackson or Halvorson in the November election. James Henry Taylor Senior is currently a businessman publishing two city newspapers, one in Joliet and the other in Kankakee.
The other Republican candidate is Brian Woodworth. He holds a law degree and is currently a criminal justice professor.
This week Woodworth was endorsed by The Chicago Tribune.
Both GOP candidates appeared individually on this week's NewsViews.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 30 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boy, 15, charged in shooting of boy, 14, on city's South Side 50 min ago
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77