NewsViews: Illinois Pensions
September 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Our guests on this NewsViews are Illinois State Senator Jeffrey Schoenberg and Dan Montgomery, president of the Illinois Federation of Teachers.
On Election Day, Illinois residents will vote on a proposed amendment to the state's constitution. It has to do with a matter that's been in the news a lot lately, public pensions.
The measure would "require a three-fifths majority vote of each chamber of the General Assembly or the governing body of a unit of local government, school district, or pension or retirement system, in order to increase a benefit under any public pension or retirement system."
Later this week, pamphlets will be mailed to voters explaining the proposed amendment.
Joining us to discuss the matter on this edition of NewsViews are Illinois State Senator Jeffrey Schoenberg, a chief co-sponsor of the measure, and Dan Montgomery, president of the Illinois Federation of Teachers.
- Police chase involves possible murder suspect 1 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...