NewsViews: Illinois Pensions
September 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Our guests on this NewsViews are Illinois State Senator Jeffrey Schoenberg and Dan Montgomery, president of the Illinois Federation of Teachers.
On Election Day, Illinois residents will vote on a proposed amendment to the state's constitution. It has to do with a matter that's been in the news a lot lately, public pensions.
The measure would "require a three-fifths majority vote of each chamber of the General Assembly or the governing body of a unit of local government, school district, or pension or retirement system, in order to increase a benefit under any public pension or retirement system."
Later this week, pamphlets will be mailed to voters explaining the proposed amendment.
Joining us to discuss the matter on this edition of NewsViews are Illinois State Senator Jeffrey Schoenberg, a chief co-sponsor of the measure, and Dan Montgomery, president of the Illinois Federation of Teachers.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 45 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 42 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods 59 min ago
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days 3 min ago
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon 55 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
54 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
45 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos