NewsViews: New CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett
October 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On this NewsViews, the newly appointed head of the Chicago Public Schools talks to ABC7's Alan Krashesky.
In a big shakeup at the top of the Chicago Public Schools system, Jean-Claude Brizard is out -- after just a year as chief executive officer. Replacing him is Bennett, the school system's former Chief Education Officer.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel made that announcement at a news conference Friday.
So who is Barbara Byrd-Bennett?
Before being named as the new CEO, she served as interim chief education officer for CPS.
Bennett is also the former CEO of Cleveland Public Schools and has worked as a teacher and a principal.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking