Newsviews: Helping Vets Transition to Civilian Life
July 7, 2013 (WLS) -- Over the long holiday weekend, many thought about those who fight for and protect our freedom. But what happens to those men and women when they return home and make the transition to civilian life?
Sorting out the benefits they're entitled to and getting the help they need can sometimes be a difficult process, and these days, more of those veterans are women with their own particular concerns.
Erica Borggren, the director of the state Department of Veterans Affairs, joins us to discuss how these issues are being addressed here in Illinois.
newsviews, stacey baca
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 6 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 13 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 41 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 31 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 31 min ago
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears 5 min ago
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago 18 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos