Newsviews: Helping Vets Transition to Civilian Life
July 7, 2013 (WLS) -- Over the long holiday weekend, many thought about those who fight for and protect our freedom. But what happens to those men and women when they return home and make the transition to civilian life?
Sorting out the benefits they're entitled to and getting the help they need can sometimes be a difficult process, and these days, more of those veterans are women with their own particular concerns.
Erica Borggren, the director of the state Department of Veterans Affairs, joins us to discuss how these issues are being addressed here in Illinois.
newsviews, stacey baca
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 12 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 2 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 34 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Signs of spring under blanket of snow
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
34 min ago
- Festival Fridays
37 min ago