San Francisco News
Warrant issued for cyclist accused of killing pedestrian
SAN FRANCISCO -- A felony warrant is out for the bicyclist police say killed a pedestrian. It happened in San Francisco at Castro and Market more than two months ago. The bicyclist may have sped through a yellow light, but it was his bicycling behavior before the fatal accident that led to this felony charge.
Reliable sources close to the investigation of the fatal accident have told ABC7 News that San Francisco police now have an arrest warrant for 35-year-old Chris Bucchere, the bicyclist who struck and killed 71-year-old Sutchi Hui in the crosswalk at Castro and Market on March 29.
Bucchere will be charged with felony vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, for failure to yield to a pedestrian, excessive speed, and running a red light.
Police say they will allow him to surrender himself in the next few days, since he's not considered a flight risk. There was no answer at his home in San Francisco Wednesday night and no comment from his attorney.
Bucchere aroused animosity after the collision when he blogged about plowing through the least crowded place he could find, investigators say it took time to track down 10 eyewitnesses, including some who say they saw the bicyclist speeding through red lights prior to the accident.
"I think that a lot of bicyclists ride like jerks and idiots to be honest. Not all of them, but enough that it gives them a bad image," said Elias Zamaria from the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. "I try my best to avoid annoying or endangering anyone."
Members of San Francisco's Bicycle Coalition said they weren't surprised by this case being regarded as a felony.
"I hope it makes every cyclist out there think very soberly about his or her responsibilities on the road with regard to pedestrians. To me, the pedestrians are at the top of the chain," said Brian Neilson from the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition.
San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon has scheduled a press conference for Thursday morning. The bicyclist could face up to 16 months of jail time.
george gascon, castro, crash, bikes, pedestrian struck, san francisco news
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- 'Sexting' ends Evanston HS baseball season early
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos