San Francisco News
Newly revamped street reopens at SF's Fisherman's Wharf
SAN FRANCISCO -- After six months of construction, San Francisco city officials are celebrating the reopening of a street in Fisherman's Wharf that has been made safer and more pedestrian-friendly.
A two-block stretch of Jefferson Street between Hyde and Jones streets now has twice as much sidewalk space as before, as well as a new two-way traffic configuration, new lighting and crosswalk bulb-outs to allow pedestrians to cross the street with ease.
Mayor Ed Lee, Board of Supervisors president David Chiu and other city officials are planning a noon ribbon-cutting ceremony today to celebrate the reopening.
City officials wanted the project to be completed in advance of the America's Cup sailing races, which begin next month and are expected to bring large crowds to Fisherman's Wharf and other parts of the waterfront.
Even without the America's Cup, the city's northern waterfront is visited by an estimated 10 million people per year, according to the city's Department of Public Works.
More information about the project can be found online at www.newjeffersonstreet.com.
fisherman's wharf, ed lee, america's cup, tourism, traffic, transportation, san francisco news
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 13 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 20 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 10 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 31 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 29 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
10 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
13 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
20 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
16 min ago