San Francisco News
SF city worker apologizes for running woman over at park
SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Recreation and Park worker who ran over a woman with a city maintenance truck has issued a statement apologizing for what happened.
Christine Svanemyr, 35, was killed last Thursday as she relaxed on the grass at Holly Park in Bernal Heights. Her 11-month-old daughter and the family dog were with her, though they were not physically injured.
Police say the driver, 57-year-old city gardener Thomas Burnoski, took off. He was arrested nearby.
Burnoski released a lengthy statement to ABC7 News through his attorney Thursday evening.
It reads, "My family and I wish to express our profound sorrow to the family of Christine Svanemyr and her community of friends. My actions caused the death of this person and there is nothing I can do to bring her back. I am absolutely devastated by this tragic accident. Mere words can never convey what I and my family feel, knowing that a child will grow up without her mother, and that Mr. Svanemyr faces parenting alone, in shock, bewilderment, and immeasurable grief. Nothing we can say or do can ever adequately address the long-term sorrowful challenge that those left behind will have to face.
Burnoski is facing vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run charges.
hit and run, san francisco general hospital, children, animal, crime, san francisco news
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 40 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van 46 min ago
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality 41 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
33 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning...
46 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
40 min ago
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos