San Francisco News
Treasure Island residents asked to vacate due to cleanup
SAN FRANCISCO -- The city of San Francisco has big development plans for Treasure Island, but first the Navy has to clean up the toxic legacy it left behind.
Some Treasure Island residents are going to have to dig deep to feel grateful this holiday, after getting the notice to vacate their homes.
Rick McDonald thinks he has to leave his Treasure Island apartment because of some work going on under already-vacated buildings next to his. McDonald has lived here with his granddaughter for seven years.
They got a letter from the Treasure Island development authority on Monday. It says 24 households have to move because of the Navy's clean-up work. "It reads: The work is part of the Navy's ongoing cleanup of buried and inaccessible low level chemicals ... and is not related to ongoing radiological surveys."
"Possible relocation. There's a meeting on Dec. 3. It really doesn't say much," said McDonald.
The letter promises that "it has been and continues to be safe to live in the units on Treasure Island "
Desmond Crisis has lived here 14 years. He thinks there's plenty of room to relocate on the island and he's not worried about whatever it is being cleaned up.
"On Tuesday they're having a meeting with just a small group of people. They're going to tell us what's really going on. I think they have the resources that are not going to cause us any real trouble. I think they're getting ahead of a problem that would get worse if they didn't deal with it," said Crisis.
Just a few blocks away, neighbors got other notices on their doors on Wednesday, about radiological surveys of their lawns and sidewalks beginning Monday. No relocation, but plenty else to worry about.
"Are you kidding? I'm concerned," said one resident.
The development authority will hold a cleanup update meeting for all Yerba Buena and Treasure Island residents on December 11.
navy, treasure island, nuclear weapons, radiation, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting in West Town 14 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue 34 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway 43 min ago
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan 54 min ago
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting in...
14 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on...
34 min ago