San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee leaving for trade mission India
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is headed today on a trade mission to India, just days after returning from a similar trip to China.
Lee will be part of a delegation headed to Bangalore, India, to meet with government and business leaders as part of the San Francisco-Bangalore Sister City Initiative.
The mayor recently returned from a trip to China, where he said he agreed to two new sister-city partnerships.
Lee spoke to reporters in San Francisco earlier this week and shot down rumors that his overseas trips might presage a move to be the new U.S. ambassador to China after current ambassador Gary Locke announced earlier this month that he was stepping down from the post.
"I'm not interested in being the ambassador to China," Lee said.
"I'm 100 percent on the job as the mayor of San Francisco," he said.
Lee, who also traveled overseas to Ireland and France earlier this year, said that the obligations of being the mayor of an international city like San Francisco "is going to fulfill any interest I have in being part of any international conversation."
The mayor's trip to India is scheduled through Dec. 5.
ed lee, san francisco news
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1 32 min ago
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos