Ventura County News
Oxnard teacher loses appeal over porn video firing
OXNARD, Calif. -- A teacher who was fired after students found out she had appeared in pornography has lost an appeal to return to the classroom.
A three-judge panel has upheld the Oxnard School District's decision to fire 32-year-old Stacie Halas.
Halas was teaching science at Haydock Intermediate School last spring when students and teachers discovered her online adult videos. She was terminated a short time later.
Judge Julie Cabos-Owen wrote in a 46-page decision that the online porn prevents Halas from being "an effective teacher and respected colleague." Halas was continually deceitful about her nine-month career in porn before she went to work at the school, the decision said.
According to her lawyer, Halas had tried to be honest but was embarrassed by her previous experience in the adult industry.
Halas and her lawyer may appeal to the Ventura County Superior Court.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
ventura county news
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting 57 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen 54 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout