West Bend School Board sanctions gay-straight club
June 14, 2011 (WEST BEND, Wis.) -- The West Bend School Board has changed course and has sanctioned the Gay-Straight Alliance -- but only if the club drops its federal lawsuit.
The vote Monday night was 4-3 to recognize the alliance as a school club. That allows it to hold fundraisers, have a spot in the yearbook and put up a bulletin board. The meeting drew passionate supporters on both sides of the issue. Supporter Joy Schroeder told the board the alliance members "deserve to have a safe place to go where they are not only tolerated, but accepted."
Two alliance members filed a federal lawsuit last month after the school board failed to recognize the club. Their attorney, Waring Fincke tells WTMJ-TV the lawsuit was about equality and following the law, not about any monetary gain.
- Teen fatally shot in car chase, crash in West Town 58 min ago
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 3 min ago
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue 12 min ago
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake
- Teen fatally shot in car chase, crash in...
58 min ago