West Bend School Board sanctions gay-straight club
June 14, 2011 (WEST BEND, Wis.) -- The West Bend School Board has changed course and has sanctioned the Gay-Straight Alliance -- but only if the club drops its federal lawsuit.
The vote Monday night was 4-3 to recognize the alliance as a school club. That allows it to hold fundraisers, have a spot in the yearbook and put up a bulletin board. The meeting drew passionate supporters on both sides of the issue. Supporter Joy Schroeder told the board the alliance members "deserve to have a safe place to go where they are not only tolerated, but accepted."
Two alliance members filed a federal lawsuit last month after the school board failed to recognize the club. Their attorney, Waring Fincke tells WTMJ-TV the lawsuit was about equality and following the law, not about any monetary gain.
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder 40 min ago
- 2nd video allegedly shows guard push CPS student
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Elgin teens building home for tornado victim
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old