West Bend School Board sanctions gay-straight club
June 14, 2011 (WEST BEND, Wis.) -- The West Bend School Board has changed course and has sanctioned the Gay-Straight Alliance -- but only if the club drops its federal lawsuit.
The vote Monday night was 4-3 to recognize the alliance as a school club. That allows it to hold fundraisers, have a spot in the yearbook and put up a bulletin board. The meeting drew passionate supporters on both sides of the issue. Supporter Joy Schroeder told the board the alliance members "deserve to have a safe place to go where they are not only tolerated, but accepted."
Two alliance members filed a federal lawsuit last month after the school board failed to recognize the club. Their attorney, Waring Fincke tells WTMJ-TV the lawsuit was about equality and following the law, not about any monetary gain.
- Allan Kustok found guilty of wife's 2010 murder 3 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County 47 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 43 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam 54 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos