Spending time in Wood Co. jail could cost you
August 15, 2011 (WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis.) -- Spending time in the Wood County Jail could cost inmates as much as $33 a day.
The county board is considering charging a fee to help balance the sheriff's department budget. A resolution before the board Tuesday authorizes the sheriff to charge up to $33 a day, although Sheriff Thomas Reichert says he may initially charge $2 a day if a fee is authorized.
Reichert says his department will use tax intercepts and civil action to collect the fee from those inmates who don't pay. The Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune says the sheriff would set the amount of the fee annually.
The sheriff says it costs about $2.5 million a year to run the jail.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 12 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 59 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 44 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 7 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 5 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 20 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
12 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
20 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos