Wisconsin, Utah top in 1st round of Miss America
January 11, 2012 (LAS VEGAS) -- An opera-singing Miss Wisconsin tops contestants in the first round of the Miss America talent competition in Las Vegas, while a swimsuit-clad Miss Utah scores honors in the lifestyle and fitness category.
Miss Wisconsin Laura Kaeppeler is taking home a $2,000 scholarship for her performance of "Il Bacio" during the Tuesday night preliminary. The talent portion is 35 percent of a contestant's preliminary score.
Miss Utah Danica Olsen earned a $1,000 scholarship after appearing in a Deaville Komplique swimsuit with gold and Swarovski crystal accents. The fitness category is 15 percent of a contestant's score.
Two more winners in each category will be selected during two more days of preliminary competition.
The final competition is Saturday at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
- Teen fatally shot in car chase, crash in West Town
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested 18 min ago
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 52 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue 32 min ago
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan 3 min ago
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake