Paul Ryan in hometown Janesville, Wisconsin, for RNC send-off
August 27, 2012 (JANESVILLE, Wis.) (WLS) -- Hundreds of people filled the gym at Paul Ryan's high school alma mater in Janesville, Wisconsin, Monday for a send-off rally before the soon-to-be nominee for vice president heads to Tampa for the Republican National Convention.
Hundreds of people filled up the gym at Craig High School, sending Ryan off to the Republican National Convention the hometown way.
In a speech, Ryan said the stakes were as high as could be.
"We're not just picking the next president for a few years," Ryan said. "We are picking the pathway for America for a generation."
Ryan will head to the convention Tuesday and is scheduled to speak on Wednesday.
Janesville residents believe Ryan is ready for the task.
"We've been supporting Paul Ryan for a lot of years. And his message has always been consistent, and it is a message that the rest of the nation needs to hear," said Jim Enerson.
Democrats were in Janesville, too, spreading their message that change is not the answer.
wisconsin news, diane pathieu
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more 18 min ago
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
43 min ago
- Trio of new distilleries open in Chicago
53 min ago