Runaway juror fined $300 after Cancun getaway
August 30, 2012 (MILWAUKEE) (WLS) -- A Wisconsin woman found herself facing a judge after she skipped out on jury duty to go on vacation.
Twenty-year-old Ivana Samardzic was a serving as a juror in a felony case in Milwaukee. But, when the case ran a little longer than she thought it would, she called the jury foreman and left her vote.
Then Samardzic hopped on a plane to Cancun for a family vacation.
"I didn't mean any disrespect to not come Thursday," Samardzic said. "It was planned like six months ago. And I work part time. And I really worked hard for that, to save a lot of money."
"Your act was selfish, and there's no other way to characterize it," said Milwaukee County Judge J.D. Watts.
The judge says, if Samardzic had just spoken up earlier, she could have been an alternate juror. Instead, she now has to pay a $300 fine.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 40 min ago
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage 25 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos