VP Joe Biden stops in Kenosha on Wisconsin stump
October 26, 2012 (KENOSHA, Wis.) (WLS) -- Vice President Joe Biden was in Republican VP nominee Paul Ryan's backyard Friday: Kenosha, Wisconsin. It's one of the key battleground states in the presidential election.
President Barack Obama won Wisconsin handily in 2008, but Republicans insist that, helped by native son Paul Ryan on the GOP ticket, they are within striking distance this year. Biden's visit to Wisconsin was his fifth this year.
Obama, Romney and Ryan will campaign in Wisconsin next week.
Biden continued his in-your-face campaign tactics during a rally at the University of Wisconsin at Kenosha.
"Together we can win Wisconsin and when we win Wisconsin we will win this election," Biden told the crowd.
Ryan is not only the Republican Party's vice presidential candidate, he also is running for re-election to his House seat against Democrat Rob Zerban who helped warm up the audience for Biden.
"We are both going to defeat Paul Ryan this November," said Zerban.
During his speech, Biden did not mention the fact he was speaking in the home district of his opponent.
Many Republican said the vice president was disrespectful of the younger Ryan during their debate in Kentucky earlier this month.
"Well, I don't know man. All I can tell you is I enjoyed it," said Biden.
Obama/Biden supporters say it's not out the question that the Democratic ticket could win southeastern Wisconsin.
"Because people are energized, because the working class is here," said Barb Schmidt, Obama/Biden supporter.
But pre-election polls suggest the race here and throughout Wisconsin is close. Ticket topper Mitt Romney has scheduled a campaign appearance in the Milwaukee suburbs next week as the race for the state's 10 electoral votes goes down to the wire.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
wisconsin news, charles thomas
- South suburbs on alert after series of attacks
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Crowds descend on Rome ahead of canonization
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wrigley Field anniversary cake tossed in dumpster
- Chicago plastic bag ban OK'd by council committee
- 5 CPS schools to begin offering mariachi classes
- I-Team: Gov't officials discuss campus sex assaults
- Hinsdale woman featured in People magazine
- All Southland College Prep seniors accepted to college
- NIU hazing death case in court
- Grayslake dry cleaners chemical spill injures 4
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling
- abcnews: Avril Lavigne Slammed for New Video