Voluntary evacuation in Pleasant Prairie due to high waves
October 30, 2012 (PLEASANT PRAIRIE, Wis.) (WLS) -- The voluntary evacuation order for residents who live close to Lake Michigan in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, expired Tuesday afternoon.
The National Weather Service had predicted waves of up to 18 feet along the southeastern Wisconsin shoreline through Tuesday night.
With worrisome waves coming off the lake, some residents took advantage of free sandbags. Pleasant Prairie Public Works Director John Steinbrink estimated the village handed out about 3,500 sandbags on Monday and Tuesday.
For a time, there was a voluntary evacuation for some shoreline residents of Pleasant Prairie. Village officials expected 14 foot waves to impact more than 200 homes, so the sandbagging began Monday night and continued through Tuesday afternoon.
Village employees and volunteers dug in to help reduce or prevent expected water damage by filling sandbags for residents.
Homebuilder Chris Bain brought his crew.
"You like to just kind of help out with every bit you have," said Bain.
Some volunteers ditched their desk jobs at a local bank to help the effort.
"I'm from Kenosha, born and raised, so any time we can do anything to help," said Bryan Fisher.
As the day wore on, the waves peaked at 12 about feet, causing some beach erosion, but never reaching any homes.
wisconsin news, leah hope
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle 9 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted 8 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions: 1 ticket worth $1 million sold in Chicago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment 6 min ago
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 11 min ago
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- 7 in :77
12 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
9 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten,...
8 min ago