Voluntary evacuation in Pleasant Prairie due to high waves
October 30, 2012 (PLEASANT PRAIRIE, Wis.) (WLS) -- The voluntary evacuation order for residents who live close to Lake Michigan in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, expired Tuesday afternoon.
The National Weather Service had predicted waves of up to 18 feet along the southeastern Wisconsin shoreline through Tuesday night.
With worrisome waves coming off the lake, some residents took advantage of free sandbags. Pleasant Prairie Public Works Director John Steinbrink estimated the village handed out about 3,500 sandbags on Monday and Tuesday.
For a time, there was a voluntary evacuation for some shoreline residents of Pleasant Prairie. Village officials expected 14 foot waves to impact more than 200 homes, so the sandbagging began Monday night and continued through Tuesday afternoon.
Village employees and volunteers dug in to help reduce or prevent expected water damage by filling sandbags for residents.
Homebuilder Chris Bain brought his crew.
"You like to just kind of help out with every bit you have," said Bain.
Some volunteers ditched their desk jobs at a local bank to help the effort.
"I'm from Kenosha, born and raised, so any time we can do anything to help," said Bryan Fisher.
As the day wore on, the waves peaked at 12 about feet, causing some beach erosion, but never reaching any homes.
wisconsin news, leah hope
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting 26 min ago
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting' 25 min ago
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 12 min ago
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts 31 min ago
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos