Sheriff saves choking baby on highway shoulder
March 28, 2013 (MILWAUKEE, Wis.) (WLS) -- A 7-month-old baby is alive thanks to quick actions by a sheriff's deputy in Wisconsin.
A mother pulled over to the side of an interstate in Milwaukee after her baby began choking on milk. She called 911. Milwaukee County Sheriff's Deputy Jeffrey Mike answered the call and performed CPR on the baby on the hood of his squad car.
Highway cameras captured his efforts. He says he was just acting on instinct.
"So it was pretty, it was traumatic for me to do it. But I'm glad everything worked out the way it did, so," Deputy Mike said.
Paramedics arrived a short time later and took the 7-month old to the hospital.
The baby is doing just fine.
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement 27 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 49 min ago
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS 38 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos