Down syndrome teen takes beauty queen to prom
May 5, 2013 (MEMOMONIE, Wis.) (WLS) -- A teenager from Wisconsin has had one of the best days ever.
It started with competing in a Special Olympics event and then he went to his prom with Miss Minnesota.
Charlie Gainey was even named prom king.
Gainey is known for being a bit of a charmer, but when it came to prom the Wisconsin junior with Down syndrome wasn't sure what to do.
A mutual friend played matchmaker.
"I work in the financial aid office, just part time, and one of the ladies who works there with me knows Charlie's family. She heard he got nominated to his prom court so she kind of thought of the idea that maybe I could go with him," said Danielle Hooper.
"I can't stop thinking about her," Gainey said. "My heart is pounding."
But it didn't show. Gainey kept his cool as he presented his date with a corsage.
Then the two hit the prom and danced.
All in all, the beauty queen and prom king deemed the night a great success.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson 14 min ago
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting 2 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 To Go, December 12, 2013
39 min ago