Missing Wisconsin teen found in Chicago; 15-year-old Kathyrn Stalbaum, missing since Tuesday, asks police for help
November 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 15-year-old Wisconsin girl missing since Tuesday has been found safe after Kathyrn Stalbaum walked up to a police officer and asked for help.
The girl's family was elated Friday night after getting word she was OK. Stalbaum is from Genesee, Wisconsin, near Waukesha.
A number of agencies in Wisconsin, including the FBI, were involved in the search for the missing 15 year old girl. The Chicago Police Department was not part of that group. Never the less, it was a Chicago Police officer who brought her to safety Friday night.
The search for the teen has dominated the news in the Milwaukee area since she first went missing Tuesday.
Stalbaum is a freshman at Kettle Moraine High School in the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha.
She sent a text message to a friend that morning that she missed the bus and would ride her bike to school. She failed to turn up at school and later authorities found her bike locked up near the Waukesha Hospital about eight miles from her home, but they had no idea where she was.
Police say they received more than 150 tips and possible sightings. Investigators were concentrating their search in the Milwaukee area and with a relative in Minnesota.
Numerous agencies including the FBI were involved in the search. But there was no indication that she might be in Chicago.
"I know she approached a Chicago Police Officer and asked for some help," said Eric Severson, Waukesha County Sheriff's office.
Wisconsin authorities say it's unclear what condition she was in, why she was in Chicago or whether anything criminal happened to her.
Right now they say after an anxious couple days they are relieved to know she is safe. And they say her family is elated.
"She's safe, she's back with us, she's out of harm's way and now we need to answer some of the questions to close the story out."
Stalbaum is at First Police District Headquarters downtown Chicago. Authorities in Waukesha, Wisconsin are still hoping to return her as quickly as possible to Wisconsin.
wisconsin news, john garcia
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games 57 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary 17 min ago
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado 33 min ago
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 27 min ago
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden 18 min ago
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home