Wis. man convicted of abusing starved stepsister
February 21, 2014 (MADISON, Wis.) -- A jury has convicted a 20-year-old Wisconsin man of sexually and physically abusing his stepsister, who was just 68 pounds and barefoot when she fled their family's home two winters ago.
The Wisconsin State Journal reports the verdict was handed down just after midnight Friday.
Prosecutors said the man was 13 and his stepsister was 9 when the first of two assaults occurred.
The girl ran away from home in February 2012. She told investigators her father and stepmother locked her in their basement and refused to feed her. They were convicted on child abuse charges at separate trials.
Her stepbrother's defense attorney had argued the girl's account couldn't be believed because it had inconsistencies.
The Associated Press isn't naming the man to avoid identifying his now-17-year-old stepsister.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 15 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square 59 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 39 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 31 min ago
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore 14 min ago
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later 13 min ago
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd 43 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
31 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
15 min ago