Bond denied woman in CPD officer shooting
Bond was denied for a woman charged with fatally shooting a Chicago Police Officer and attempting to murder four others this week.
Forty-five-year-old Robin Johnson was not able to appear in court. She remains hospitalized.
Prosecutors say Johnson shot and killed Officer Richard Francis with his own weapon following a struggle near Belmont and Western.
According to prosecutors, the four 19th District patrol officers who arrived at the shooting scene early Wednesday were themselves fired upon by suspect Robin Johnson. Court documents say the officers fired several bullets into the forty-five-year-old homeless woman who had just fatally wounded Patrolman Richard Francis after grabbing the officer's revolver during a struggle.
On Friday morning, Superintendent Jody Weis denied a published report that detectives are investigating whether Francis was also hit by friendly fire from the responding officers.
"A newspaper report indicated that police are investigating the details of the fatal shooting involving officer francis. We are not," said Weis
Johnson remains in stable condition at Illinois Masonic Hospital and could not appear on Friday in bond court where Judge Laura Sullivan denied her bail. Assistant State's Attorney Jason Kopec said there were nine witnesses to the Francis murder, including the four responding officers, an off-duty cop, two CTA employees and two other civilians.
Officer Francis was a married father of two stepdaughters and a 27-year veteran, only three years short of retiring with full benefits. Francis was killed while responding to a report of a disturbance involving an unruly woman on board a CTA bus.
national/world, charles thomas
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 11 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 31 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 18 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 1 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 9 min ago
- CTA eyes Red Line extension proposals 4 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 45 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos