Report: Rio has narrow 2016 lead over Chicago
September 27, 2009 (WLS) -- Just five days to go before the 2016 Summer Olympic host city is announced, a report indicates that Brazil's Rio de Janeiro has taken a narrow lead over Chicago.
The independent Olympic publication Around the Rings compiled the rankings and gave Rio a score of 84, just one point ahead of Chicago's 83.
Other candidate cities Madrid and Tokyo are tied at 80.
Around the Rings ranked the cities on 11 categories, such as public support, security and venue plans.
The publication says Rio's two leading factors may be the appeal of the first ever Games in South America and the strength of the bid effort.
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- Deer on tracks halts Blue Line service temporarily
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos