Report: Rio has narrow 2016 lead over Chicago
September 27, 2009 (WLS) -- Just five days to go before the 2016 Summer Olympic host city is announced, a report indicates that Brazil's Rio de Janeiro has taken a narrow lead over Chicago.
The independent Olympic publication Around the Rings compiled the rankings and gave Rio a score of 84, just one point ahead of Chicago's 83.
Other candidate cities Madrid and Tokyo are tied at 80.
Around the Rings ranked the cities on 11 categories, such as public support, security and venue plans.
The publication says Rio's two leading factors may be the appeal of the first ever Games in South America and the strength of the bid effort.
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions 9 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Heisman Trophy 2013 Finalists: Jameis Winston, NIU's Jordan...
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots 24 min ago
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913