Report: Rio has narrow 2016 lead over Chicago
September 27, 2009 (WLS) -- Just five days to go before the 2016 Summer Olympic host city is announced, a report indicates that Brazil's Rio de Janeiro has taken a narrow lead over Chicago.
The independent Olympic publication Around the Rings compiled the rankings and gave Rio a score of 84, just one point ahead of Chicago's 83.
Other candidate cities Madrid and Tokyo are tied at 80.
Around the Rings ranked the cities on 11 categories, such as public support, security and venue plans.
The publication says Rio's two leading factors may be the appeal of the first ever Games in South America and the strength of the bid effort.
- 5 injured after truck crashes into grocery store
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd 30 min ago
- City: Kup statue not stolen, out for repairs
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 10 min ago
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Woman sues Four Seasons, claims injuries from massage 5 min ago
- Western closed St. Paul to Mofftt over weekend 33 min ago
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake 31 min ago