Report: Rio has narrow 2016 lead over Chicago
September 27, 2009 (WLS) -- Just five days to go before the 2016 Summer Olympic host city is announced, a report indicates that Brazil's Rio de Janeiro has taken a narrow lead over Chicago.
The independent Olympic publication Around the Rings compiled the rankings and gave Rio a score of 84, just one point ahead of Chicago's 83.
Other candidate cities Madrid and Tokyo are tied at 80.
Around the Rings ranked the cities on 11 categories, such as public support, security and venue plans.
The publication says Rio's two leading factors may be the appeal of the first ever Games in South America and the strength of the bid effort.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 57 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 58 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- 7 in 77
55 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
57 min ago