Red Cross collects quake/tsunami relief donations
March 11, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The American Red Cross is accepting donations to help in the wake of a devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
Those who wish to donate can do so at RedCross.org or make a $10 donation by texting REDCROSS to 90999. The money will go to those affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific.
The American Red Cross says the Japanese Red Cross Society has mobilized 11 teams into the heavily-damaged communities. The U.S. organization said it is in touch with its global partners in the damaged Pacific nations and prepared to help when/if needed.
Chapters in the U.S. are on high alert on the country's West Coast where waves hit Friday morning.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions: 1 ticket worth $1 million sold in Chicago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting 37 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move 21 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 10 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor 2 min ago
- 7 in :77