Poisonous detergent pods look like candy
July 1, 2012 (WLS) -- They look like toys and brightly colored candy, but there's been a surge of calls to poison control centers after children ate colorful packets of laundry detergent.
With more children being sickened by them, the companies that make detergent pods have promised to make changes.
It's bright, bite-sized and to 1-year-old Isabella Sutton, it might have looked a little like candy and that's what her mother thought she was eating.
"Yeah candy, it just figured they got into candy and were eating candy," said Jessica Sutton.
But minutes after it burst in her mouth, Isabella Sutton had severe vomiting and diarrhea.
"You don't think about safety proofing laundry detergent," Jessica Sutton said.
New reports show nearly 1,200 kids have been poisoned by similar detergent packs in the past five months, some severely.
At least 11 children have been placed on ventilators.
Poison centers across the country see an average of 10 cases a day, some as many as 28.
The makers of Tide told ABC News in May that they planned to have new childproof containers out by summer.
It hasn't happened yet, but Proctor and Gamble says it will.
The packaging on their canisters will soon have double latch lids and a larger warning and they say it has already started shipping and should be on shelves soon.
In the meantime, poison control experts say pods from any detergent makers should not just be out of reach of children, they should be locked up.
national/world, karen jordan
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos