Murder charges filed against sex offender in missing college student Mickey Shunick case
July 6, 2012 (WLS) -- A registered sex offender is charged with murder in the disappearance of missing college student Mickey Shunick.
Brandon Scott Lavergne, 33, was arrested Thursday at his Louisiana home. He faces first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping charges.
A search of Lavergne's home led to his arrest. Police would not release information on what -- if any -- evidence was found. Lavergne was convicted of aggravated oral sexual battery in 2000 and released from prison in 2008, according to the Louisiana State Police website for registered sex offenders.
Shunick was last seen riding her bike on May 19 just before 2 a.m.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures passenger
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 24 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
24 min ago