Unspent highway funds to be made available
August 17, 2012 (WLS) -- Help is on the way to fix crumbling roads and bridges across the country as Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood is announcing the Obama administration is making nearly half a billion dollars in unspent highway funds available to states.
They must promise to use the money to create jobs and improve transportation.
The move is part of the president's election-year effort to bypass Congress with programs which the president says will create jobs.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 20 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos