3 million bees seized in Queens 'sting' operation
August 23, 2012 (NEW YORK) -- There was a big buzz Wednesday in Queens, where nearly three million bees were seized from a beekeeper.
Authorities say 58-year-old Yi Gin Chen started with one hive two years ago, but that grew to 45 hives and the millions of bees.
Beekeepers descended on the house in Corona Thursday night to collect the hives that packed the driveway and backyard.
The president of the New York City Beeekeepers Association claims that Chen ignored all the rules of urban beekeeping.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, national/world
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse 34 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- Church holds service outside after roof collapse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House 8 min ago
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Illinois Tollway readies full fleet of snowplows
- Ice storm, sleet, deep freeze in Mid-Atlantic, East Coast areas
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,...
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'