Gas pedal stuck, 911 operator helps save SUV driver
August 27, 2012 (WLS) -- A Missouri woman's recent road trip is one she will never forget. Her gas pedal became stuck on the open highway.
Desperate for her car to stop, the driver called 9-1-1.
Lauri Uvelstad was driving home from work when we lost control of her SUV. She was forced to drive on the shoulder at times to avoid hitting other cars. Her vehicle reached speeds as fast at 115 mph.
Police began following Uvelstad, capturing the nearly 45 minute long nightmare on tape.
Uvelstad's car finally stopped when the dispatcher told her to lift up the stuck accelerator while pushing down on the brake.
The two strangers met for the first time Sunday morning.
Uvelstad says she survived thanks to the police, the 9-1-1 operator and maybe a little help from above.
- Fans subdued after Blackhawks lose Game 3
- Mysterious substance closes Indiana beaches
- Danny Green, Manu Ginobili lead Spurs to Game 5 win over Heat
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruins beat Hawks 2-0, take series lead 2-1
- Mother convicted of killing son exonerated
- Man tried to sexually assault girl, 14, at gunpoint: Police
- Bill Daley proposes plan to end pension deadlock
- Chicago violence kills 8; 46 shot over weekend
- Ex-Chicago Ald. Medrano convicted in bribery case
- Cops: Man crawled through window, abused girl
- Evanston man accused of stealing, selling, re-stealing car
- Chief Keef pleads guilty to speeding, faces 2nd paternity suit
- abcnews: NSA Leaker Alleges US Spied on Allies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos