Bob Woodward book: Obama-Boehner secret debt deal collapsed
September 6, 2012 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- As President Barack Obama gears up to address the nation at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, his administration is confronting new headlines from legendary journalist Bob Woodward.
In his new book, "The Price of Politics," the man behind the Watergate scoops has an inside look at last year's showdown over the federal debt ceiling.
In the book, which will be published September 11, Woodward writes that the president and House Speaker John Boehner were close to actually getting a deal done - - a mix of $4 trillion in spending cuts and tax increases. But just as they closed in on the deal, Woodward writes, President Obama demanded more tax increases be included. For Boehner, it was a deal breaker.Read more at ABCNews.com
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained 19 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
17 min ago