Bob Woodward book: Obama-Boehner secret debt deal collapsed
September 6, 2012 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- As President Barack Obama gears up to address the nation at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, his administration is confronting new headlines from legendary journalist Bob Woodward.
In his new book, "The Price of Politics," the man behind the Watergate scoops has an inside look at last year's showdown over the federal debt ceiling.
In the book, which will be published September 11, Woodward writes that the president and House Speaker John Boehner were close to actually getting a deal done - - a mix of $4 trillion in spending cuts and tax increases. But just as they closed in on the deal, Woodward writes, President Obama demanded more tax increases be included. For Boehner, it was a deal breaker.Read more at ABCNews.com
- Oklahoma tornado in Moore kills dozens 11 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area 32 min ago
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision 27 min ago
- CTA robberies reported at Loop train stations 22 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- 7 in :77
45 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado in Moore kills dozens
11 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos