Bob Woodward book: Obama-Boehner secret debt deal collapsed
September 6, 2012 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- As President Barack Obama gears up to address the nation at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, his administration is confronting new headlines from legendary journalist Bob Woodward.
In his new book, "The Price of Politics," the man behind the Watergate scoops has an inside look at last year's showdown over the federal debt ceiling.
In the book, which will be published September 11, Woodward writes that the president and House Speaker John Boehner were close to actually getting a deal done - - a mix of $4 trillion in spending cuts and tax increases. But just as they closed in on the deal, Woodward writes, President Obama demanded more tax increases be included. For Boehner, it was a deal breaker.Read more at ABCNews.com
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas