Robin Roberts bone marrow transplant Thursday
September 20, 2012 (NEW YORK) (WLS) -- ''Good Morning America'' cohost Robin Roberts undergoes a bone marrow transplant Thursday.
Related: Photos of Robin Roberts | Robin Roberts enters hospital for bone marrow transplant | Lucimarian Roberts, Robin Roberts' mother, dies | Robin Roberts GMA leave starts Thurs. due to mom's illness | GMA host Robin Roberts has MDS | What is MDS?
Roberts was diagnosed recently with MDS, a rare blood disorder. She's been on medical leave since the end of August in preparation for the procedure.
Roberts' bone marrow transplant is possible thanks to her sister, Sally-Ann, whose marrow was a perfect match.
Roberts took her last round of chemotherapy before the procedure and rested up a day before getting the transplant. The "Good Morning America" co-anchor says she had some complications from the chemo this past weekend. But while Roberts says her body is weak, her mind is still very strong.
Roberts has been in the hospital for 11 days, but her "GMA" family has been close by to cheer her on and offer support as she completed eight days of intense chemotherapy treatment.
Many transplant recipients refer to the day of their transplant as their new birthday.
"This journey is as much about the mind as it is the body," she said, in a video that aired on "GMA" Thursday. "Your thoughts. Thoughts are so powerful. You've got to change the way you think in order to change the way you feel. And let me just say this lastly, I feel the love and I thank you for it. Thank you."
The Associated Press and "Good Morning America" contributed to this report.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 44 min ago
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage 29 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos