Beagle survives jump from NJ Bridge
September 20, 2012 (BURLINGTON, N.J.) -- ''It's a miracle. It's definitely a miracle.''
Alexis Lorenz is talking about the death-defying leap her 7-year-old rescue beagle, Brandi, took Friday night from the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
Surveillance camera video shows how Brandi, all alone and ears flopping, bolting up the Jersey side of the two-lane span about 10:15 p.m. Cars were swerving to avoid her. Some drivers even stopped to help.
"Two carloads of young kids got out, tried to rescue the dog, and the poor dog went over the side of the bridge because it was afraid of the children," said Bridge Commission Police Officer Rob Bittner. "It jumped right over the side of the bridge."
Bridge Commission Police thought Brandi was a goner.
"Poor dog," said Sergeant Ray Warmkessel. "He's going to be dead. Then we went down underneath the bridge, and here's the dog walking along the beach. I couldn't believe it."
"She was wet. She was soaking wet," said Lorenz.
Alexis spent hours looking for the beagle, who had squirmed out of her collar and taken off from her husband during a walk earlier that night.
Lorenz said her dog was never a swimmer or a diver.
"I know she's an escape artist, but not anything other than that!" she said.
Amazingly, Brandi did not break any bones after jumping off the six-story bridge. The dog seems to have landed like a champ, with only a bruised belly to worry about.
Brandi is skittish and fearful of strangers. Her adopted mom can't help but wondering what the beagle was thinking as she ran off that bridge.
"She's in the air, where is this going to end up? Where am I going to land?" said Lorenz.
She says she plans on buying an escape-proof collar for Brandi, who she promises will be in a car the next time she heads over the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
national/world, nora muchanic
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 5 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 1 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 1 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets 4 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 to Go, December 20, 2013
23 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
1 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos