Robin Roberts recovering after bone marrow transplant
September 21, 2012 (NEW YORK) (WLS) -- Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts is resting Friday after having a bone marrow transplant.
Related: Photos of Robin Roberts | Robin Roberts enters hospital for bone marrow transplant | Lucimarian Roberts, Robin Roberts' mother, dies | Robin Roberts GMA leave starts Thurs. due to mom's illness | GMA host Robin Roberts has MDS | What is MDS?
She is feeling the power of positive thoughts and prayers. Robin's sister Sally-Ann, who is the bone marrow donor, brought a smile to Robin's face with a song. Then her pastor led them in prayer Thursday before the procedure.
Her oncologist, Dr. Gail Ropoz, said Roberts is being monitored to guard against infection and to see that her white blood cell count is increasing. She said Roberts can expect some good and bad days in her recovery.
Roberts was diagnosed recently with MDS, a rare blood disorder. She's been on medical leave since the end of August in preparation for the procedure.
Roberts took her last round of chemotherapy before the procedure and rested up a day before getting the transplant. The "Good Morning America" co-anchor says she had some complications from the chemo this past weekend. But while Roberts says her body is weak, her mind is still very strong.
Roberts has been in the hospital for 11 days, but her "GMA" family has been close by to cheer her on and offer support as she completed eight days of intense chemotherapy treatment.
Many transplant recipients refer to the day of their transplant as their new birthday.
"This journey is as much about the mind as it is the body," she said, in a video that aired on "GMA" Thursday. "Your thoughts. Thoughts are so powerful. You've got to change the way you think in order to change the way you feel. And let me just say this lastly, I feel the love and I thank you for it. Thank you."
ABC7 wishes both of them well.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs 6 min ago
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests 27 min ago
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards Programs
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- Tsarnaev friend killed in Orlando by FBI
- Plane with cracked windshield lands safely at Midway
- Boy, 16, killed in Back of the Yards shooting
- Free movies at Millennium Park this summer
- abcnews: Arias could be 3rd woman on Death Row
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos