DA: Dad burned baby in sink with scalding water
October 15, 2012 (OXFORD, Pa.) -- A Chester County, Pa., man is facing a number of charges for allegedly burning his 1-month-old baby girl, leaving her in critical condition.
Jorge Colon, 20, of Oxford, Pa., is charged with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children and related charges.
The child has previously been diagnosed with colic after her parents sought medical attention because of her continued crying.
Police say Colon has two children with the baby's mother, who was taking a shower during the incident Saturday.
Colon was giving the baby a bath in the sink, investigators say, when the child started crying.
Colon became frustrated, lost his temper and, according to police, turned the water up to a scalding hot temperature as the baby screamed.
He then wrapped the baby in a towel but, when he removed the towel, saw the baby's skin was peeling from the burns.
Colon and the baby's mother took the child to Jennersville Regional Hospital. The baby was then transferred to the Burn Unit at Crozer-Chester Medical Center where she remains in critical condition.
The baby suffered first and second degree burns over 40% of her body, the D.A. said.
In a written statement, Oxford Police Chief John Slauch said, "I have been a police officer for 38 years. This is one of the worst cases of child abuse I have ever seen in Chester County."
District Attorney Tom Hogan said, "As a prosecutor, I am outraged that anybody would harm a baby. As a father, I am deeply saddened and disturbed that a father could do this to his own daughter."
Colon is being held on $125,000 bail.
- School shooting remembered 25 years later 34 min ago
- Extensive vandalism devastates South Side church
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 16 min ago
- Relative of murdered Chicago child fatally shot 49 min ago
- WWI submarine has an underwater Lake Michigan grave 27 min ago
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Homeless pets find homes with PAWS Chicago 9 min ago
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
16 min ago
- 7 on your Sideline: A woman breaks through...
5 min ago
- School shooting remembered 25 years later
34 min ago
- WWI submarine has an underwater Lake...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos