Sheriff: 2 dead in massive I-10 pile-up in Texas
HOUSTON -- Two people are dead and dozens are injured after a nearly 150-vehicle pileup that forced the closure of Interstate 10 in both directions near Beaumont.
KFDM-TV reports that the collision happened around 8 a.m. Thursday on I-10 near Beaumont, about 80 miles east of Houston.
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office reports two people have been killed in the collisions that involved about 150 cars and trucks crashed in extremely dense fog. Dozens of injured victims been taken to area hospitals.
The identities of the deceased victims are not being released at this time. Howerver, DPS says they are a Hispanic man and Hispanic woman from Pearland, traveling in the same car. Both died at the scene when their vehicle was rear-ended by one of the many big rigs involved in the accidents.
I-10 remains shutdown on the eastbound lanes. Drivers are advised to avoid the area. Westbound lanes have reopened.
Spirit of Thanksgiving
Five-year-old Damien Ortiz and his mom, Dora Lopez, suffered minor injuries in the crash. Damien asked his mom if he could use their turkey that they had in their SUV to make sandwiches for the other injured people at the scene.
After serving sandwiches to the other victims, Damien and his mom have been taken to one of the local hospitals to get checked out. Damien suffered some cuts to his face and hit his head pretty hard. They were traveling from Dickinson to Louisiana to meet loved ones for Thanksgiving.
Damien and his mom are also asking everyone to look for his puppy Bo. Bo was thrown out of the car during the impact and they can't find the pup.
Stay with ABC13 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD at Fullerton 11 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 15 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans 32 min ago