Sheriff: 2 dead in massive I-10 pile-up in Texas
HOUSTON -- Two people are dead and dozens are injured after a nearly 150-vehicle pileup that forced the closure of Interstate 10 in both directions near Beaumont.
KFDM-TV reports that the collision happened around 8 a.m. Thursday on I-10 near Beaumont, about 80 miles east of Houston.
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office reports two people have been killed in the collisions that involved about 150 cars and trucks crashed in extremely dense fog. Dozens of injured victims been taken to area hospitals.
The identities of the deceased victims are not being released at this time. Howerver, DPS says they are a Hispanic man and Hispanic woman from Pearland, traveling in the same car. Both died at the scene when their vehicle was rear-ended by one of the many big rigs involved in the accidents.
I-10 remains shutdown on the eastbound lanes. Drivers are advised to avoid the area. Westbound lanes have reopened.
Spirit of Thanksgiving
Five-year-old Damien Ortiz and his mom, Dora Lopez, suffered minor injuries in the crash. Damien asked his mom if he could use their turkey that they had in their SUV to make sandwiches for the other injured people at the scene.
After serving sandwiches to the other victims, Damien and his mom have been taken to one of the local hospitals to get checked out. Damien suffered some cuts to his face and hit his head pretty hard. They were traveling from Dickinson to Louisiana to meet loved ones for Thanksgiving.
Damien and his mom are also asking everyone to look for his puppy Bo. Bo was thrown out of the car during the impact and they can't find the pup.
Stay with ABC13 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 10 min ago
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 26 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 11 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- Bubonic plague claims 32 lives in Madagascar 10 min ago
- Dennis Rodman in North Korea: Former Bulls star holds tryouts... 12 min ago
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
26 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
10 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos