Andrea Parsons Case: Arrest after girl, 10, missing since 1993
Novmeber 30, 2012 (PORT SALERNO, Fla.) (WLS) -- Florida detectives with the Martin County Sheriff's Office made an arrest leading to a grand jury indictment in a missing person case dating back to 1993.
It's July of 1993; flyers go out, featuring a little girl's face. Ten-year-old Andrea Parsons was missing and feared abducted.
She was last seen buying candy at a grocery store near her home. Nineteen years later, it's been turned into a shopping plaza.
Despite an all-out search, Andrea's body was never found.
But on Thursday afternoon, Sheriff Bob Crowder announced they got the man they believe abducted, sexually assaulted and killed Andrea.
"The person arrested is Chester Duane Price," Crowder said. "A 42-year-old convicted felon who was familiar with the victim."
Price has always been a person of interest. He knew the victim.
"Yeah I'm sure that was him."
Neighbors say they had suspected him.
"We always thought they'd never get him," one said.
"We just figured they'd never get whoever it was, so we're happy," another said.
The sheriff's office says they got a break in the case last year, which shifted their focus to Price.
For a while, they were sure Claude Davis was the killer. He lived across the street from Andrea.
"I don't know where the girl is, I never did know where she was," Davis said.
Davis has never been charged, but police now say he and Price were friends in 1993 and that the case isn't over.
"But we still have to get a conviction and in court. We possibly have some other arrests that may follow. And we certainly want to recover the body," Crowder said.
Andrea was last seen at 6 p.m. near Commerce and Seward Avenues in Port Salerno, Florida. Andrea was wearing blue jean shorts, a dark-colored shirt and clear plastic sandals.
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos