Son ordered to stand with signs for school suspension
December 6, 2012 (DURHAM, N.C.) -- Drivers on Durham's busy Roxboro Street witnessed a mother trying to get through to her 12-year-old son in a public way Wednesday.
The boy stood on the sidewalk near the Avondale Drive intersection with large neon-orange signs made out of poster board taped to his chest and back.
Handwritten on the signs were the words "I don't listen to my teachers. I'm suspended. This is my punishment."
The boy's mother, Decembre Pierce, said she forced her son Parrish to wear the sign because she'd reached her limit.
"My 12-year-old son is constantly acting up, getting trouble, and I'm tired of it. This is my last resort. I've tried spankings, taking his privileges away, and nothing has worked," she said.
The punishment was certainly eye catching, although not everyone approved.
"I think it's crazy because I don't think he deserves to be out here in the rain and everything," offered passerby Xavier Brown. "That's not gonna change anything."
Parrish's mother said she was ready to face criticism.
"I'm prepared for that. Everyone has their own way of parenting, but this is my son that I love dearly and the only thing that I have left to do. I don't want to send him away. I don't want him to get arrested," she said.
Durham police were called to check on the situation, but when they learned what was going on, they used the time to talk to Parrish. They tried to echo what his mother was already telling him.
Some of it seemed to be getting through.
"I'm feeling kind of down that I got myself into this by hanging with the wrong crowd," the boy said.
So will he act up at school again?
"No, not planning to," said Parrish.
But Decembre Pierce said she's ready if he does. Next time he gets in trouble, she said she'll make him wear a t-shirt in front of his classmates with a similar message to the one on the sign. And she said she'll follow him to school every day to make sure he's wearing it.
national/world, caitlin knute
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 4 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty 23 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line service halted, officials say
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan 48 min ago
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea 59 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
23 min ago
- NLEI's Construct Program
29 min ago